Bridal Shows CanadaWedding Contestsdestination weddingsWedding TipsWedding Tools and ChecklistsLinksVendors Get Listed Here








Largest Local Wedding Directory for Canada

Bridal Show Events 

Free Printable Checklists 

Free Responsibility Cards for Everyone 

Bridal Bouquet Color Gallery                         Over 23,000 Wedding Vendors Listed

HomeSite Map  l  Report a Broken Link 

Have a question? Call Toll Free  1-877-342-5101 CANADA

  1. Choose Province

        BC    AB    SK    MB
        ON   QC    NL    NB 
        PEI   NS    YT   NWT is on Facebook - It's all about Weddings - Like us is on Pinterest - It's all about Wedding Inspiration- Follow us Today


TOLL FREE 1.877.342.5101
PHONE 250.862.4700
HBC Canada's Biggest and Best Wedding Gift Registry

Marriage Certificate Questions

Why do I need a marriage license? In order to become married in Canada you must obtain a marriage license in the province that you will married in to be recognized legally as husband and wife. Apply no earlier than three months prior to your wedding ceremony as it expires after three months and you will have to re-register and pay all the applicable fees.

Groom Signing The Marriage CertificateMarriage Certificate

Where do I get my marriage license? You can obtain your license at any Vital Statistics Agency or qualified issuers such as a Notary. Please choose the Vital Statistics link below to find an office for your province.

When is the marriage license used? At your wedding ceremony. Your Wedding Officiant, Marraige Commissioner, Justice Of The Peace, or your religious representative will inform you when the event will take place during your ceremony. Normally it is completed after your vows. Both your and your mate will sign twice and then your Officiant will announce/introduce you as Husband and Wife - The new Mr. & Mrs. Last Name.

*Please note you will also have to have two witnesses sign the Marriage Certificate. Each Province has a different guideline for age requirements.

BC Witness - No age requirement however recomends that they be atleast 12 years old. The witness needs to understand that they are a witness to a legally binding contract.

Alberta Witness - 18 Years or older

Saskatchewan Witness- 18 Years or older

For all other provinces please visit your Vital Statistic Agency

When do I receive my legal copy of my marriage certificate? Your marriage commissioner or religious representative will send these documents to Vital Statistics within 48 hours where it will be registered and a legal copy record will be kept, then you will receive a formal Marriage Certificate in the mail shortly after.

How much does a marriage license cost? Each province differ and can range from $25.00 to $75.00. On top of the license fees your Wedding Officiant, Marriage Commissioner will charge you a ceremony fee between $100.00 to $550.00 depending on the type of ceremony you wish to have. Some may also charge a rehearsal fee and a travel fee if it is far away so be sure to ask.

© 2005 Directory For Weddings. All Rights Reserved